What’s included in the price?
All tools and materials are included along with refreshments and individually wrapped cakes /snacks, please provide your own lunch if you are attending a full-day workshop.
I will be following all current safety guidelines with a maximum of 5 spaces available. Cleaning wipes, hand gels, etc will be available. You are welcome to bring your own equipment. I will send you more details about joining the workshop approximately 1 week before it is due to take place.
Do I have to have any experience to attend a workshop?
It takes many years to learn a new craft as with any other skill some people jump in feet first and connect straight away whilst otherwise find it takes more time it’s like anything you don’t know until you try.
The workshops are suitable for beginners as well as for those with some experience. We all work at different rates and learn in different ways whilst some people prefer to start with creating a selection of small items others prefer to jump right in and have a go at creating one large item.
The aim of the day is to introduce you to a variety of techniques needed to create your project and for you have gained confidence in working with the materials.
We all work at different speeds so I will always aim to get you to the stage where you have a completed sculpture if you don’t quite finish you will know what to do and can finish at home.
Do I need to speak to you about anything before I book on to the workshop?
Working with willow can be very tiring and physical especially if you attending a day workshop, so if you have difficulty in using your hands or any other condition that you feel might make it difficult to take take part in the activity please contact me to discuss how I can help.
I have a medical condition that might affect my ability to take part what do you advise?
Working with willow and can be tiring on the hands and may be difficult for you to do if you have conditions such as arthritis or find it hard to grip and pull I would suggest that you contact me to discuss if any of the workshops are suitable for you to attend and if there are any alternative options. Also, you may need to bend quite a bit if you are creating an animal or bird so it can be quite tiring
Is there anything else that I need to know?
Please wear clothing that you like working in and that is suitable for the environment e.g if we are working outside, wearing suitable shoes for rough ground and relevant clothing for the environment is a good idea also if you have hay fever/ allergies remember to bring your treatment.
If you like to sit on the floor please bring something to sit on e.g a small rug or cushion
I’ve never done anything like this before can you advise me which workshops would be better for me to start with?
If you are someone who prefers working on small precise works id suggest starting with the workshops where we create several smaller items e.g Xmas crafts, garden items, small birdhouse. For those of you that like to experiment and see what happens, I would suggest starting with a small sculptural item.
What should I expect?
- I like to keep my attendee numbers low to enable me to provide the support and advice where needed and I usually limit my places to a maximum of 8 attendees indoors and 10 outdoors
- All tools and materials are included along with refreshments and sealed snacks, I bring disposable cutlery, cups, etc if you are attending a full day workshop please bring your own lunch.
- I will ask you to bring a bucket or bag to put the willow in while you are working,
- I will also send you information about preparing the willow, and looking after your items or if you are attending a workshop booked via another organization I will send them the details to pass on to you.
- It is always good to wear practical clothes and bring something warm if it is chilly weather just in case you need it.
Do you offer any other types of workshops?
I offer a variety of willow and working with natural materials workshops as well as basic rag rugs and peg loom weaving workshops simply check through my other pages for more information. I also work with a variety of groups/organisations/ schools etc and offer private workshops.
I have a gift voucher what do I need to do
If you have been given the workshop as a present/ have a gift voucher simply contact me to book a place or find out more.
What is the minimum notice that you need to book a place
Spaces usually book up quickly if there are any still available the minimum notice that I require is as follows
- One week to create an item using the traditional brown willow which has its bark on and is preferable for outside and
- 3 days notice if you are happy to use buff willow (this is not suitable for staying outside in cold/wet weather.)
- Workshops will be postponed or cancelled, if there are not enough attendees to make them viable or if I am unable to run the workshop or we are advised not to run public activities at the moment.
- I work to covid secure guideline working in venues that have additional measures in place which are more detailed and different from those that relate to personal guidelines.
Workshop venue safety re covid 19
I occasionally receive inquiries from students who are confused about the covid guidelines and how this applies to workshops
I work to current covid safety guidance in venues that comply with covid 19 secure venue guidelines, please read my postponement/ cancelation page for more details.
- Spaces usually book up quickly. If the workshop is full and I receive enough interest I will organize a second workshop.
- On occasion because of people’s, availability workshops do not have enough attendees to make it viable, if this happens I will cancel it and postpone it to another date, in such cases students will be entitled to a refund or a place on another workshop.
Private workshops I provide a range of options including workshops for a small group (2-3) and group bookings for friends, families, etc if you are interested in discussing this possibility please contact me. Please note that option is not always available as at certain times of the year I am extremely busy showing my work at art exhibitions. shows etc and providing activities at events etc