Here is a list of the questions that I am often asked if the list doesn’t answer your query please contact me
What’s included in the price?
All tools and materials are included along with refreshments and individually wrapped cakes /snacks, please provide your own lunch if you are attending a full-day workshop.
I will be following all current safety guidelines with a maximum of 5 spaces available. Cleaning wipes, hand gels, etc will be available. You are welcome to bring your own equipment. I will send you more details about joining the workshop approximately 1 week before it is due to take place.
Do I have to have any experience to attend a workshop?
It takes many years to learn a new craft as with any other skill some people jump in feet first and connect straight away whilst otherwise find it takes more time it’s like anything you don’t know until you try.
The workshops are suitable for beginners as well as for those with some experience however as we all work at different rates and learn in different ways whilst some people prefer to start with creating a selection of small items others prefer to jump right in and have a go at creating one large item, I will always aim to get you to the stage where you have a completed sculpture if you don’t quite finish you will know what to do and can finish at home if you prefer to not need to carry on at home then I would recommend that you start with a small sculpture workshop first.
The aim of the day is to introduce you to a variety of techniques needed to create your project and for you have gained confidence in working with the materials.
I am not sure if this workshop is suitable for me do I need to speak to you about anything before I book on to the workshop?
Working with willow can be very tiring and physical especially if you attending a day workshop, so if you have difficulty using your hands. we use a lot of pulling and twisting movements and you will need a reasonable grip so if you don’t have much strength or have any other condition that you feel might make it difficult to take take part in the activity please contact me to discuss.
It is often best to start with something mall if you are not sure. Also, you may need to bend quite a bit if you are creating an animal or bird so it can be quite tiring with large items we often use our thighs to hold items this can be worked around if you let me know in advance
Is there anything else that I need to know?
Please wear clothing that you like working in and that is suitable for the environment e.g if we are working outside, wearing suitable shoes for rough ground and relevant clothing for the environment is a good idea also if you have hay fever/ allergies remember to bring your treatment.
If you like to sit on the floor please bring something to sit on e.g a small rug or cushion
I’ve never done anything like this before can you advise me which workshops would be better for me to start with?
If you are someone who prefers working on small precise works id suggest starting with the workshops where we create several smaller items e.g Xmas crafts, garden items, and small birdhouses. For those of you that like to experiment and see what happens, you might prefer something more sculptural to be fair there is no one way and you never know until you try
What should I expect?
- I like to keep my attendee numbers low to enable me to provide the support and advice where needed and I usually limit my places to a maximum of 8 attendees indoors and 10 outdoors, it all depends on the topic
- All tools and materials are included along with refreshments and sealed snacks etc if you are attending a workshop that spreads through the day over lunchtime please bring your own lunch.
- I will ask you to bring a bucket or bag to put the willow in while you are working,
- I will also send you information about preparing the willow, and looking after your items or if you are attending a workshop booked via another organization I will send them the details to pass on to you. or provide you with my contact details so that you can contact me
- It is always good to wear practical clothes and bring something warm if it is chilly weather just in case you need it.
Do you offer any other types of workshops?
I offer a variety of willow and working with natural materials workshops as well as basic rag rugs and peg loom weaving workshops simply check through my other pages for more information. I also work with a variety of groups/organizations/ schools etc and offer private workshops.
I have a gift voucher what do I need to do
If you have been given the workshop as a present/ have a gift voucher simply contact me to book a place or find out more. If the gift voucher is with another organization e,g craft courses you will need to speak to them first
What is the minimum notice that you need to book a place
Spaces usually book up quickly if there are any still available the minimum notice that I require is as follows
- One week to create an item using the traditional brown willow which has its bark on and is preferable for outside and
- 3 days’ notice if you are happy to use buff willow (this is not suitable for staying outside in cold/wet weather.)
- Workshops will be postponed or canceled, if there are not enough attendees to make them viable or if I am unable to run the workshop or if we are advised not to run public activities at the moment.
- I work to covid secure guidelines working in venues that have additional measures in place which are more detailed and different from those that relate to personal guidelines.
Workshop venue safety re covid 19
I occasionally receive inquiries from students who are confused about the covid guidelines and how this applies to workshops
I work to current covid safety guidance in venues that comply with covid 19 secure venue guidelines, please read my postponement/ cancelation page for more details.
Private workshops I provide a range of options including workshops for a small group (2-3) and group bookings for friends, families, etc if you are interested in discussing this possibility please contact me. Please note that option is not always available as at certain times of the year I am extremely busy showing my work at art exhibitions. shows etc and providing activities at events etc